Whew! What a whirlwind of a month! After weeks of planning and 10 straight days of events and parties, San Francisco Fashion Week finally came to a close. For those unfamiliar with the phenomena know as Fashion Week, every major city across the globe has a marathon of events from runway shows, summits, expos and parties which celebrate the fashion of that city. Everyday you have a new venue, new outfit and a long list of to-dos.
In the weeks leading up to Fashion Week we had regular meetings and assignments to plan and execute such a big event. In preparation of the organized chaos, I devised some survival tactics to allow me to get the most out of the experience and get through the craziness:
- Replace morning coffee/tea with lemon water- it is tempting to reach for your daily caffeine habit when you know you've got a crazy day ahead. But I like to reserve my caffeine kick for when I really need it, like say 11pm and we still haven't wrapped up the night. Lauren Conrad's blog introduced me to all the benefits of a daily morning lemon water routine here. In a nutshell, lemon water in the AM will you keep energized and keep your immune system kicking!
- Water, water & more water- in order to keep your energy levels up you need to stay hydrated. This means no soda, no sugary juices, no energy drinks, etc. Make sure you're sipping from your water bottle throughout the entire day and evening. The only exception I will make is the low sugar Pressed Juicery Greens and Roots juices because we could all use the boost of vitamins without all the high calorie sugars.
- Skip the booze- I know, I know! It sounds like I'm sucking all the fun out but trust me. At SFFW we had a steady flow of champagne, wine and beer which is very tempting after a stressful day of planning and rehearsals. But given that we had events daily, I just couldn't afford the hangover or possible migraine. If you must indulge, limit yourself to one drink and then drink a lot of water before bedtime. At the final closing party feel free to go nuts and when you wake up in the morning you'll realize why you held out all week ;)
- Sleep- getting enough sleep is probably the hardest one on this list. At SFFW you have nightly parties that keep you up past midnight and then you have to get up in the morning and go to work just to repeat it all again the next day. Prioritize and streamline your schedule to get as much zzz's as possible and squeeze in naps when possible.
- Pick and choose your events- SFFW was 10 days straight of events and it is nearly impossible to attend everything. Plan ahead and pick the events that sound the most intriguing and you absolutely must attend.
- Don't skip your workouts- while you may feel completely strapped for time, you will need all the energy boosters you can get. As much fun as SFFW can be, it is also very stressful. Manage stress levels with regular sweat sessions and show up ready to take on the next event.
- Plan your meals ahead of time- it is easy to fall into the trap of eating whatever food is available because you're running around. At fashion events the food situation can be unpredictable and in some cases there's only booze (dangerous combo). I found that planning my meals ahead of time and and utilizing my crock pot was key in keeping my meals healthy. After a day out and about, there's nothing greater than coming home to homemade soup or chili.
Check out some of my favorite pics from San Francisco Fashion Week!
COPYRIGHT: THIS ENTIRE SITE Ⓒ 2014-2016 GENNIFER ROSE. ALL OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND COPY HEREIN, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ARE COPYRIGHTED BY THE PHOTOGRAPHERS AND AUTHORS. NO PART OF THIS SITE, OR ANY OF THE CONTENT CONTAINED HEREIN, MAY BE USED OR REPRODUCED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS.