This spot has been on my bucket list for a long time and we finally made it! The Moorten Botanical Garden and Cactarium is located in the heart of Palm Springs, a short drive from some of the most popular hotels. It houses some of the most rare species of cacti and is the world's only "cactarium." The Palm Springs' desert climate makes it the perfect home for such a huge cactus garden.
The Moorten Botanical Garden has been an Instagram favorite location for a while now and it's no surprise why, the colors and textures make for amazing photos! Palm Springs in general has many amazing photo opportunities including everyone's favorite colorful doors, the rainbow Saguaro Hotel, and countless photo-worthy restaurants. Don't miss my other Palm Springs guides!
As you can see in my photos, I am SUPER pregnant! 29 weeks (about 7 months) to be exact. Our baby girl is coming in May 2018 and I can't wait for her arrival! Being pregnant hasn't slowed me down very much, I've still been traveling all over California. I'm fortunate that I still have the energy and I haven't had any major complications. Follow along on my Instagram to see our upcoming adventures in parenthood!
Your Guide to Instagram Worthy Photos in the Cactarium
- Go early - We arrived right when the gardens opened to avoid the crowds and I'm sure glad we did. The gardens are very popular and getting photos without people in the background can be tough. When you arrive, head straight back to the green house because it's the definitely trickier to get clean shots due to the tight space.
- Lighting - As a general photography tip, you want to avoid the times of day when the lighting is the harshest. The gardens open at 10am so hopefully you will still have some cloud cover and you can avoid dark shadows. The good news is that the lighting inside the green house is perfectly diffused (meaning it doesn't create shadows) and gives you a nice glow.
- Plan your outfit - We purposely chose outfits that have earthy tones and flowing features. This creates a nice contrast the to prickly characteristics of the cacti. These subtle styling choices add a subconscious feeling of "etherial goddess" which of course we all want to look like!
- Natural elements - Accessorize your outfit with pieces made from natural fibers such as wood, straw, brass, suede and weathered leather. Avoid uber modern accessories that have a glossy shine, patented leather, bold and bright colors or even shimmer (save these for photos at the oh so colorful Saguaro Hotel).
- Add the location - When you post on Instagram, be sure to add the location and hashtag #moortenbotanicalgarden. This way people can discover your photos and get inspired!
- Have fun! - The best photos have a spontaneous energy and a candidness to them.
COPYRIGHT: THIS ENTIRE SITE Ⓒ 2014-2018 GENNIFER ROSE. ALL OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND COPY HEREIN, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ARE COPYRIGHTED BY THE PHOTOGRAPHERS AND AUTHORS. NO PART OF THIS SITE, OR ANY OF THE CONTENT CONTAINED HEREIN, MAY BE USED OR REPRODUCED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS.