Basecamp self describes itself as "high style but affordable, embodying the spirit of exploration" and 7x7 Magazine called it the perfect escape for the modern mountain man. On first arrival I felt like I had entered a summer camp for chic adults, with stylish curated touches everywhere. We enjoyed complimentary hot chocolate and freshly popped popcorn in the lobby and then headed out to our king room. We loved the minimalist yet stylish decor in our room and we had some great Tahoe views from our balcony.
We spent the weekend wandering around the surrounding area of Basecamp, taking in the scenic mountain landscape. During our visit I was about 10 weeks pregnant and very much experiencing the discomforts that come in the first trimester. So we decided to relax and take it easy during our trip. Basecamp is the ideal place for a babymoon because there were plenty of pregnancy-friendly things to enjoy within the hotel grounds. The location provides great natural scenery so you already feel like you're taking in the best of Tahoe without having to climb any mountains. During our day-trip we stopped at The Cork & More to pick up a picnic lunch (see pics below) and headed out to Thomas F Regan Memorial City Beach to enjoy our sandwiches by the lake.
10 Things We Loved About Basecamp in South Tahoe
1. The rustic chic decor - It's the first thing you notice when you arrive and it sets the tone for a fun trip. There's so much to look at and explore on the property, the lobby and dining hall are filled with fun vintage trinkets and knick-knacks.
2. Firepit s'mores kit - Nothing feels more like camping than sitting around a blazing fireplace roasting marshmallows. You can purchase a s'more kit for $2 (I believe it only comes with enough to make one s'more) or head to the local store and pick up your own s'more supplies. There are multiple fire pits on the property, all set up and ready to go.
3. Rooftop hot-tub with views of the mountains - Don't forget to pack your swimsuits! After a day exploring, take a dip in the hot tub and relax those muscles. For all of us pregnant soon-to-be mamas, the deck has comfortable seating where you can put up your feet and relax while enjoying the views and fresh air.
4. Pet friendly rooms - Bring fido along on the adventure! Make reservations far in advance for a pet friendly room. When I made our travel plans all the pet friendly rooms had already been booked, our dog Holly had to sit this trip out.
5. The Great Indoors Room - Want to go camping in a tent without all the hassle of actually camping? This room takes "glamping" to a new level with a luxury bed inside a tent. Sit on a picnic table alongside a faux log fire and tell campfire stories without the cold and pesky mosquitos.
6. SUPER comfy beds - We have a memory foam bed at home but the bed in our hotel room put ours to shame. It was like sleeping on a cloud which was a very welcome surprise. Perfect for easing some of the discomforts that come with pregnancy.
7. Outdoor patio with an airstream - The twinkle of the string lights and glow of the fires makes the outdoor patio a fun hangout spot. You don't have to travel very far from your room to experience that fresh mountain air and gaze upon snowy mountain tops.
8. Wholesome free breakfast - The food served is nothing fancy but nonetheless will get your day started on a high note. The weather was very chilly and brisk during our visit and I enjoyed a nice cup of hot tea and DIY oatmeal (served in mason jars which always makes something a little more special 😉).
9. Handy dandy Pocket Guide - This little guide provided to all guests at check-in was a lifesaver and helped us discover some new Tahoe spots. We found both our scenic picnic spot and a gourmet food shop from this guide. It may be small but it's packed with helpful information. I still have mine for our next visit to Tahoe!
10. Location, location, location - Basecamp is located in the heart of South Lake Tahoe, a short 5 minute walk to the lake and an even shorter 4 minute walk to the ski resort Heavenly Gondola. There are many restaurants and shops within walking distance to enjoy a nice date night meal.
The King Room
The Cork & More
We picked up our picnic essentials at The Cork & More, an adorable artesian wine and cheese shop which also has a killer deli. Our sandwiches were very delicious, exactly what the wanted. I ordered a tuna melt and he got pastrami. We packed up our goodies and headed out to Thomas F Regan Memorial City Beach for our picnic.
Thomas F Regan Memorial City Beach
The Basecamp Hotel recommended this picnic spot for us and it was just perfect. Very calm and inviting with little picnic benches to set up camp. The fall leaves were tuning color and falling, it was the perfect autumn backdrop. The park sits right on the water which was a stunning crystal blue with views of the mountains in the distance.
See more California travel:
COPYRIGHT: THIS ENTIRE SITE Ⓒ 2014-2018 GENNIFER ROSE. ALL OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND COPY HEREIN, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ARE COPYRIGHTED BY THE PHOTOGRAPHERS AND AUTHORS. NO PART OF THIS SITE, OR ANY OF THE CONTENT CONTAINED HEREIN, MAY BE USED OR REPRODUCED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS.