Now that we are halfway through September we can get excited with the official beginning of the autumn season! Last year I was fortunate enough to have a flexible work schedule and I spent autumn traveling around between New York City, Austin and California. I love New York in the fall because it is the only place I've ever seen the leaves change colors. In California most of our trees are evergreen and there's little changes between the seasons except for excess fog.
I created a photo diary of fall themed photography I took while sightseeing in New York. The beautiful fall leaves and fun pumpkins have inspired my autumn bucket list for 2016. I know this season will pass by so fast and I always want to make sure I capture the moment with some favorite autumn events.
The Autumn Bucket List
1. Go apple picking - I've been excited for this one for a very long time. I've been berry picking several times but this will be our first time in apple orchards. I can't wait to whip up some homemade caramel apples or apple crumble!
2. Use scented pine cones as fall decor - I love walking into the apartment and immediately feeling cozy and nostalgic with the scent of cinnamon spice filling the air.
3. Carve or decorate pumpkins - I haven't decided yet if I want to traditionally carve pumpkins or try my hand at painting them. I have a Pinterest board full of fun fall pumpkin ideas.
4. Have a girls night with the ladies and watch Hocus Pocus - this is a classic a grew up watching and it never gets old. It just doesn't feel like Halloween without it.
5. Make mulled cider - the perfect cold evening drink to cuddle up in bed with the boyfriend and dogs to watch a favorite movie.
6. Eat everything pumpkin flavored - this is the time of year when the grocery stores and restaurants fill up with all kinds pumpkin goodies. If you're feeling like having something homemade I've got a Pinterest board full of pumpkin recipes.
7. Cook a recipe from Julia Child’s cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking - following in the steps of Julie of Julie and Julia, I will cook a fancy French meal for the family at Thanksgiving. I will admit that I feel rather intimated with the idea but I will be so proud when I've done :)
8. Celebrate Dia de los Muertos - while traditional American Halloween is a blast, I also love the Mexican celebration of Dia de los Muertos (translates to Day of the Dead). In contrast to the "haunted" approach we have in the states, Dia de los Muertos celebrates the lives of those who have passed.
9. Fall Thrift Shopping - it's time to thrift and find those essential fall staples. Stock up on favorites such as sweaters, boots and flannel plaid shirts. A few of my favorite online thrift shopping are Swap and Schoola. I've already found some amazing Hunter booties and Sam Edelman tall boots!
10. Turning 30 - yep, I turned 30 this month. Goodbye twenties! My birthday was so full of love and flowers, thank you to everyone that celebrated with me. I heart all of you!
Brooklyn Heights Brownstones
Get more autumn inspiration:
COPYRIGHT: THIS ENTIRE SITE Ⓒ 2014-2018 GENNIFER ROSE. ALL OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND COPY HEREIN, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ARE COPYRIGHTED BY THE PHOTOGRAPHERS AND AUTHORS. NO PART OF THIS SITE, OR ANY OF THE CONTENT CONTAINED HEREIN, MAY BE USED OR REPRODUCED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS.