My Top 10 Must-Have Postpartum Fashion Staples
Getting dressed after having a baby is a new kind of experience. Your big prego bump is gone but your body isn't the quite the same as it was before. You secretly hope that your pre-pregnancy clothes will still fit, but in my case they certainly did not. My daughter was born on May 25th and I am currently 7 weeks postpartum. Not only am I carrying some extra weight, but the shape of my hips and waist have changed. Needless to say, it was time to hit the mall and do some shopping.
As new moms we have been through a lot, so let me be the first to give you permission to spoil and pamper yourself. While you're in the process of dressing your new figure, I highly recommend going to the mall in-person and trying the clothes on. There's a good chance that you won't fit into your same old size and actually trying items on takes the guess work out of it. Below is my list of on-trend fashion items that also work with your postpartum body. Consider it the ultimate gift guide... to yourself!
1. Dolphin-Hem Shirt Dress - I wore this H&M dolphin-hem shirt dress on our shopping trip at the Palladio in Folsom, Ca. This style is right on the money for a "comfortable yet put together" look. The tailored details instantly give it an elevated look while still being loose around the midsection. During our shopping trip at Palladio, I saw several stores carrying this style including H&M, Charlotte Russe, and Nordstrom Rack.
2. Essential T-Shirts - The cut of boyfriend and girlfriend tees are more forgiving and easy to casually style. Stock up in classic neutral colors like white, black and blush. Head into Torrid at Palladio and shop basics like this blush classic tee.
3. Extra Long Cardigan - Button Up Boutique in Palladio has some super cute long cardis and kimonos that pair perfect with a simple denim and tee style. My favorite pick is this super long duster in the perfect deep blush shade.
4. High Waisted Ruffle Skirt - After trying on a million different styles of skirts, I found that high waisted ruffle skirts with an extra stretchy waistband were the perfect statement wardrobe piece for me. I purchased this exact skirt at the Nordstrom Rack at Palladio. I can't wait to style with a graphic tee and booties for a modern eclectic look.
5. Maxi Dresses - Apricot Lane has a great selection of flowy and lightweight maxi dresses for the summertime. Perfect to just throw on and go with baby. Check out the Apricot Lane's Instagram for their most current styles. I especially love this tropical maxi dress (swipe to second image!).
7. Off-the-Shoulder Tops and Dresses - This is one of my tricks I use to hide weight gain and give the appearance of a breezy and carefree style. I took this photo just 7 days after my daughter was born with an off-the-shoulder dress with a open drape silhouette cut. It was the only way to hide my swollen belly!
8. Leggings - As a mom, sometimes you have days when putting on real clothes is just not possible. I've had many nights where I'd be lucky just to get 3 hours of sleep and maybe take a shower. During moments like these, having some fresh pairs of leggings on hand to throw on under a tunic top makes all the difference in your sanity. I am somehow very rough on my leggings and end with holes holes down the seams all the time, so I have to replace them often.
9. Maternity Jeans - This one might seem weird but I promise it's the best kept secret of new moms. Traditional jeans, shorts and pants are just not my friend right now, I've got too much extra cushioning around my midsection to even try to wear them. Investing in high quality maternity jeans that you can wear several months postpartum will be your serious lifesaver.
10. Lounge Wear - The reality of being a new mom means you spend a lot of time at home with baby. My trick to avoid feeling like a complete scrub is wearing elevated loungewear styles which allow me to be comfortable while I'm on mommy duty. Check out Victoria's Secret for cute and comfy styles!
The Palladio Shop & Dine Center in Folsom, Ca
Our day of leisurely strolling and shopping at the Palladio Mall in Folsom was filled with summer sunshine and cool smoothies from Whole Foods. I was able to easily find all my coveted postpartum styles at the Palladio and I came home with mega bags full of goodies. I will soon be posting my new outfits styled on my Instagram so be sure to follow along!
The Palladio is a premium outdoor shopping center located in the oh so lovely city of Folsom. They have pretty much everything a gal needs to pamper herself with a day of splurging. During your visit be sure to check out the Whole Foods outdoor Bier Garden where you can build your own custom lunch from the cafeteria style ready-to-eat dinning and then enjoy your meal outdoors. You already know that Whole Foods only serves the healthiest and freshest options, which is also perfect for us postpartum ladies. I made sure to stock up on my favorite kombucha while we were there too!
I plan on returning very soon on a baby-free day so I can enjoy a relaxing pedicure and massage. The Palladio has several great options for spa services!
COPYRIGHT: THIS ENTIRE SITE Ⓒ 2014-2018 GENNIFER ROSE. ALL OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND COPY HEREIN, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ARE COPYRIGHTED BY THE PHOTOGRAPHERS AND AUTHORS. NO PART OF THIS SITE, OR ANY OF THE CONTENT CONTAINED HEREIN, MAY BE USED OR REPRODUCED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS.