Hello folks, I hope you're as excited as I am that summer is almost here! This past weekend the ladies and I hit the beach to enjoy a gorgeous sunny day in San Francisco. Warm and sunny days like these are few and far between on the bay area coastline, so you must enjoy them while you can. We grabbed a beach blanket, sunscreen and some healthy snacks and headed out to Ocean Beach. The scene was picturesque and full of fun giggles and early 2000's tunes (think N'Sync, Backstreet Boys and Mandy Moore).
With the change in weather also comes a new beauty routine to protect your skin. It is the worst when you are out in the sunshine all day having a blast and then later realize you've got a sunburn. Since childhood I have had extremely sensitive skin and I often burn, develop a heat rash or even break out in hives from harsh chemicals (yuck!). This hypersensitivity has forced me to develop vital skin routines and seek out premium brands with high quality ingredients. Cheap skin products are often riddled with chemicals and inferior ingredients that can irritate sensitive skin and put a damper on your summer days. As you know, my blog is about turning 30 and entering a new era of your life which for me includes ditching the tanning and embracing sunscreen to protect my skin. After countless burns and bad skin days, I have come up with a list of tried and true products. I pass the wisdom on to you :)
1. Cetaphil Cream - whenever I go to the dermatologist with a mysterious skin irritation the doctor always recommends I use Cetaphil brand products. This company designs their products specifically to be very gentle and is ideal for people with skin allergies. It is made without any perfumes which is often the culprit for skin irritation. I recommend the cream instead of the lotion because it is thick and creamy, giving your skin all the moisture it needs. Right after I dry off from the shower, I slather the cream from head to toe. It's non greasy and leaves skin feeling soft, hydrated and irritation free.
2. Supergoop! - don't let the goofy name fool you, this line of sun care products are amazing. I always hated wearing sunscreen in the past because it felt so sticky and greasy. It made my skin feel uncomfortable and I would dread the process of applying it. Supergoop! has changed the game with creams that are so light and comfortable to wear. The facial lotions work great with your makeup routine and provides great protection.
3. Bobby Brown CC Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 35 - in my morning when I get ready to leave the house I always try to put sunscreen on my face. Even on overcast foggy days my very fair skin will burn leaving me with red inflamed skin. Finding a daily moisturizer with an SPF higher than 10 was a challenge but when I found this product from Bobby Brown it was a great day. The cream moisturizes, gives you some light coverage and has illuminator for a healthy glow.
4. Blinc Mascara - lucky for me the skin around my eyelids is ultra sensitive and reacts to most mascara. I was reading an interview of Zosia Mamet in Allure magazine last year and she mentioned Blinc mascara because she has the same issue with sensitive eyes. Blinc is unique in that they do not use "paint" like traditional mascara, it actually creates tiny tubes around each individual lash. The benefit of blinc's beauty technology is that you don't get small flakes that land in your eye and on your skin. Although those flakes may seem minimal, when your skin is sensitive it makes a big difference.
5. Cetaphil Facial Wipes - falling asleep with make up on my face is one of the worst things I can do for my skin. In the morning I will wake up looking like a swollen raccoon because the skin around my eyes is so sensitive. These wipes help me take off all my makeup and don't use too many harsh makeup removing chemicals. Neutrogena also makes Night Calming Cleaning Towelletes which does a great job of removing makeup without irritation.
6. Simple Face Wash - after you've removed your makeup, it's time to cleanse your skin and get rid of any residue. This face wash from Simple is one of my favorites because it has a creamy texture and is gentle without any abrasive scrubs or scents. It is gentle enough to use with my Clarisonic Mia 3 Aria Facial Brush and won't leave my skin dried out.
7. The Body Shop Vitamin E Hydrating Toner - the next step in my skincare routine comes from one of the a best sellers at The Body Shop. This product is loved by many and is a vital part of my morning and evening skin routine. After you have cleansed your face, apply the toner with a cotton ball on your face and gently below your eyes. You'll feel an instant cooling feeling without being too tingly or "cold burning". Another great reason to invest with The Body Shop products is because they are a company with a strong mission for fair trade and sustainability.
8. Burt's Bees Intense Hydration Night Cream - after you've cleansed and applied toner, it's time to give your skin the hydration it needs. Along with sensitivity, I have very dry skin. This face lotion is so thick and creamy (often a good sign of a high quality cream) and does a fantastic job of hydrating.
9. Head and Shoulders Shampoo and Conditioner- not always the most glamorous of products but it is very helpful when it comes to summer hair care. The summer heat can make you sweat which paired with oil build up can lead to an itchy scalp. Red and flaky skin can definitely put a damper on your summer hair game and these hair products actually do a world of difference.
10. Ivory Laundry Detergent - this one may surprise you but if you have sensitive skin you may not realize that your laundry detergent can be causing additional inflammation. After you've had all your beach fun, you'll need to wash all that beach off your clothing. While chemicals are great for getting out stains, they are not so great for your skin.
Now that you have the list, it's time to get out there and enjoy summer. So grab your girlfriends and your sunscreen and hit the beach! Don't forget to check out my online store and shop for some key wardrobe pieces for summer.
COPYRIGHT: THIS ENTIRE SITE Ⓒ 2014-2018 GENNIFER ROSE. ALL OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND COPY HEREIN, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ARE COPYRIGHTED BY THE PHOTOGRAPHERS AND AUTHORS. NO PART OF THIS SITE, OR ANY OF THE CONTENT CONTAINED HEREIN, MAY BE USED OR REPRODUCED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS.