There's few things that can cue the water works faster than an empty apartment filled with memories. These photos are from one of our last days in our studio apartment in the city. After several months of debating, we decided to pack up everything and move out of San Francisco. The decision was not easy, San Francisco is such a beautiful city and we have so many friends and family in the area. Ultimately the decision came down to our long term goals of being homeowners. The cost of living in the Bay Area is beyond expensive and purchasing a home in the San Fran market was not an option for us. To be perfectly frank, I'd rather spend my time and money traveling than overworking myself to pay a crazy high mortgage ;)
After looking at multiple options, the city of San Diego was calling our name. My boyfriend is originally from the area and we have the benefit of staying with family while we transition into our new life. After visiting friends in New York City we road tripped with our UHaul down to Southern California from San Francisco. We've been here about a month and I've gotta tell you, I can get used to all this sunshine. It's the very beginning of March and it's been 80 degrees all week!
Top 5 Things I Miss About San Francisco:
- The food: The culinary options in San Fran are by far the best I've ever seen in any city. Particularly the healthy spots like Proper Food and Spinnerie. Restaurant entrepreneurs in SF have mastered the art of "healthy fast food" for the modern millennial.
- The architecture: One of the most iconic parts about San Fran is the unmistakable style of many of the buildings. I always loved walking through the city and admiring the ornate Victorian details.
- The loving vibes: Growing up in the Bay Area you learn to celebrate all kinds of people from all walks of life. I love that people are free to be themselves, you can love whomever you'd like and the quality of your character is what matters most.
- Karl the Fog: The city of San Fran is often covered by a thick layer of fog, so we decided to name the fog Karl. While most of the time I prefer warm sunshine days, on occasion there's something very calming and surreal about watching thick fog rolling in.
- Friends and family: Of course the thing I miss the most about my home city is all the people who make it wonderful. But not to worry, I know I will be back often to visit.
Top 5 Things I Am Super Excited About for San Diego:
- The sunshine: When living in San Fran, I could rarely wear shorts or dresses in the city because it just wasn't warm enough (even in the summer!). I always had to carry an extra layer for when the temperature would drop in the evening. Here in San Diego it stays warm all day and well into the evening. It has honestly made me actually want to go out at night instead of going to sleep at 9pm!
- The space: We went from living in a studio apartment in San Fran to a house with a big yard. Our dog Holly is having a blast running around and exploring the backyard, and I have started growing my garden.
- Warm beaches: In San Fran we have beaches but due to the very cold water they tend to be more for admiring from afar than actually swimming. In Southern California both the weather and water temperatures are much warmer and you can enjoy some real summer beach days.
- The laid-back lifestyle: The cost of living is so high in San Fran that it requires you to work very hard just to pay the bills. At times it felt like a constant rat race and frankly it just wasn't for me. Life feels much more smooth and relaxing here, less hours at the office and more hours outdoors enjoying the sunshine.
- Exploring Los Angeles: When we lived in San Fran we often drove up to Napa for weekend excursions. Now that we live in San Diego, Los Angeles is only driving 2 hours away. There's so many places I'm looking forward to discovering, and so many awesome thrift stores awaiting me!
During our last few weeks in the city we were very busy bees and we've got some awesome San Francisco content coming soon. Sign-up for my newsletter below and never miss a blog post!
See more from our San Francisco apartment:
COPYRIGHT: THIS ENTIRE SITE Ⓒ 2014-2017 GENNIFER ROSE. ALL OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND COPY HEREIN, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ARE COPYRIGHTED BY THE PHOTOGRAPHERS AND AUTHORS. NO PART OF THIS SITE, OR ANY OF THE CONTENT CONTAINED HEREIN, MAY BE USED OR REPRODUCED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS.