My List of Top 10 Ways I Calm the Chaos of Motherhood
1. Amazon Prime - All you mamas know the hassle of leaving the house when your child is being fussy. The simplest errand of going to the store becomes a stressful and daunting task with a screaming baby. Enter your new best friend! I have all my essential household items delivered to the house within 2 days. From diapers to baby formula, it is so convenient! And you often get the best price, saving you $$$ which we all love.
2. Meal Prep - My baby girl loves to be held, sometimes for hours on end. So cooking on the stove is often not an option. But I still try to avoid processed meals by cooking in batches, freezing in small portions and then just heating it up when I need a quick meal.
3. Schedule Baby-Free Time - As much as a love my daughter, I would go crazy if I didn't have time away from her. I make a habit of scheduling time with my boyfriend where he's on daddy duty for a few hours while I have planned dates either with friends or by myself.
4. Establish a Self-Care Ritual - It's really easy to forget to take care of yourself when 99.9% of your attention goes to your little one. I start to feel like a hobo when all my grooming regiments fall to the wayside. Just like I schedule baby-free time, I put time aside to take relaxing baths, go to the salon, exercise, etc.
5. Diaper Bag - Having your diaper bag fully stocked and ready to go can save you time and hassle. I always carry the wet wipes, because life gets messy with a baby! It takes some of the stress out when you need to run errands. I use them for everything from diaper changes to cleaning up formula spills.
6. Plan Your Escape Route - As moms we often feel like we're stuck at home because taking a baby out in public can be like traveling with a ticking time bomb. So whenever I take Scout out to a restaurant or public place, I try to pick restaurants that have a back patio with easy street access. That way I can quickly take a walk with her if she becomes loud and fussy.
7. Pre-Made Bottles - I wasn't able to breastfeed my daughter because my body didn't produce hardly any breastmilk. So she has been a formula baby and we have gotten a routine down to make feeding her outside the house quick and easy. I wash and sterilize her bottles in the morning, and then I pre-measure the water into the bottles. So that way I only have to add the powder. They also make pre-mixed individual bottles that you can just throw in your bag and go.
8. Shop Baby Consignment - I've always been a big thrifter and there's a ton of places where you can save some dough on premium baby brands by shopping second hand. Often times baby clothes and gear never get used because babies grow so fast.
9. Baby Shusher - During our newborn studio photo shoot the photographer was using this little sound machine to create calm and soothing "shushing sounds". As new parents we didn't even know such a thing existed and we were amazed at how effective it was to relax Scout and help her drift into sleep. This compact and portable little sound machine allows you to bring the comforts of home anywhere you go. And as an added bonus, the shusher also helps adults sleep too!
10. Simplify and Eliminate - Sometimes it's not about what we add but more about what we can omit. Examine the daily steps you take and see what is redundant, a stress trigger and actions that are just not serving their purpose anymore. By eliminating these and simplifying our lives, it can streamline our daily routines and lead us to feel more in control and chaos motherhood brings. Routines are super useful for both baby and mama.
COPYRIGHT: THIS ENTIRE SITE Ⓒ 2014-2018 GENNIFER ROSE. ALL OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND COPY HEREIN, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ARE COPYRIGHTED BY THE PHOTOGRAPHERS AND AUTHORS. NO PART OF THIS SITE, OR ANY OF THE CONTENT CONTAINED HEREIN, MAY BE USED OR REPRODUCED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS.